Tuesday, November 2, 2010

New Studio

Works in progress

I moved from St Kilda last year (2009) to a nature oasis in the mountains of the Yarra Valley. Literally, my back yard is state forest! Surrounded by massive mountain ash trees, giant tree ferns, native wildlife, honking sambar deer, cheeky possums, and bugs the size of dinosaurs, the only draw back with all the surrounding nature (apart from feeling a wee bit on edge in the summer months) is…no wireless, and no broadband where I am… so dial-up is the only means of connection until I organize either a sattelite dish or as my neighbour Mark mentioned….maybe an aerial….and then I may be able to get wireless (MAYBE!)…my mobile phone only works in the upstairs far corner of the bathroom! So my posts (and replies) will be limited to trips to local cafes with my laptop… so it’ll be weekly.


Since moving here I have spent every spare moment renovating the cellar and garage into a fantastic new studio. With its completion in September this year, in time to open for the 2010 Yarra Valley Open Studio’s weekend. My darling friend & Sculptor, Angela Nagel shares the studio with me, which is divided into two large rooms. The YVOS weekend was a wonderful experience to share our works and to meet SO many people (over 250) including loads of locals, Melbourne, interstate, and international visitors and other artists. We will definitely be involved next year again.

My studio (and Kiki)


2 comments:

  1. Your studio looks amazing. You've worked so hard and I can't wait to visit it. Congratulations both of you. You'll laugh...I've just changed my doctorate to a painting DVA. Can I have a studio as lovely as yours please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Madame Moonsail...so now you have the perfect residency to come and paint with us for your doctorate research...hhhmmmm!!!

    ReplyDelete